I’m having an epic issue right now with my hair. I’m so indecisive and bored, I can’t decide whether to go a warm, honey blonde, or a warm, dark brown. “What to do, what to do,” she wrote in her diary.
This past year and a half have been hair-crazy. If one didn’t know better one would think that I was projecting a quarter-life crisis onto my hair.
I went from my natural, medium ashy brown, to blonde, to black, with every brunette shade in between.
Right now, I’m a faded out medium chocolate brown. a.k.a, boring.
I want to be either “that blonde over there”, or “that brunette over there”.
So please don’t tell me to add some face-framing highlights or ombre or stay the colour I am now (yes I know it is fine, but I want…more).
For a great explanation of why I don’t want some wishy washy medium colour, read Michelle Villet’s post on what medium colours are boring and annoying as shit (who knew others had such strong opinions about this stuff!).
Problem is, I’m not sure which one I want it to be.
So I have made a handy pro/con list for each decision, since there ‘aint no decision like an informed and well-thought out decision.
- Easy to maintain
- Works better with my skin tone???? (does it? let me know!)
- Will look more “exotic” (can’t decide if this is a pro/con?)
- Boring, seems like everyone’s a brunette, at least where I live
- Will I just want to go blonde later?
- I will look even more “Mediterranean” than I already apparently do. Would not be a problem if I actually was Italian, Spanish, Greek or Portuguese, but I’m not and no man at a bar seems to believe me.
- Not a big deal to go back dark
- So high maintenance
- Will never look like my ‘natural’ colour
- Might damage my hair
- Roots post-10 days irritate me
In short, brunette is always going to be easier for me, but…easier isn’t always better, or what I want. (If you knew my taste in men this would be abundantly clear).
Also, I thought it might be interesting to note that the two hair consultations I had senior stylists at top salons, both said I was forbidden to dye my hair again until at least Christmas, but ideally Feburary because I needed to give it a break. Stylist #1 said that because of my “sallow” complexion, blonde would always make me look green and bad. Stylist #2 said I would look great in a warm, honey blonde.
So, Team Brunette or Team Blonde? What’s the verdict?